Virtual training is web based training, using cloud based technology to run live sessions. At present more people are continuing to work from home, including attending training to up skill or learn new skills.
Virtual training can be just as effective as classroom based training, with an appropriate approach. Reading a powerpoint slide word for word is ineffective in any environment, even more so when learners are sitting at a desk by themselves and watching a screen for an hour, even a full day.
Engage virtual learners by:
- Understanding the training objectives. What do learners need to be able to do at the completion of the training.
- Read through the content and consider how to deliver it to meet training objectives. For example, should learners read a PDF to themselves or invite different people to read a paragraph at a time and then discuss as a group.
- Encourage questions using the chat function on the platform and invite learners to take themselves off mute and have a conversation.
- Set training expectations, eg participation, stay on track, respect of others, break adherence, etc
- Use the technology to run role-plays for example if using Microsoft Teams, create groups of 3 where 2 people can have a mock call, with an observer to take notes and provide feedback.
- Use music to create energy.
- Be authentic, share your personality.
Making adjustments to the way you share information with learners can increase retention and application of knowledge.
Training was really amazing! So engaging, including the systems!Feedback from a virtual training participant of a 2 week new starter program which ran 8-4 everyday.