7 types of sales people is a workshop I facilitated for sales reps in a call center. It was session which encouraged agents to understand their sales approach and how it was linked to their results. Some people really enjoyed the workshop, a small group found it very confronting and challenged their beliefs.
In any workshop, one on one or meeting where beliefs and mindset are examined, as the facilitator it’s important to manage emotions, questions and group dynamics, and highlight the positive outcomes of the interaction.
Every type of sales person will have their own belief system and will be motivated by different things. These need to be understood to empower a person and before any next steps can be put in place.
The following is an overview of 7 types of sales people:
- The top gun
- Consistently high performers
- Positive attitude
- Loves to help customers and peers
2. The content
- Consistently coming close to or achieving target every month
3. The marginal performer
- Inconsistent performer
- Disinterested at times
- Shows motivation at other times
4. The enthusiastic
- Good attitude
- Willing to grow
- Lots of potential
5. The hostile
- Rarely achieves target
- Defensive attitude
- Does not care about customers
6. The know it all
- Very big ego
- Can be a high performer at times
- Not a team player
7. The negative lens
- This type of person is negative about most things eg, the company, management, customers
- Resists change
- Finds it difficult to focus on positives
These types are not set in stone. When a person is willing and able to learn new ways of working and have the relevant kind of support and opportunities in their role, they will grow.